Thursday, July 31, 2008

July Summary

July was a big mileage month for me, in fact my biggest ever by over 70 miles. The plan was to run a lot to see how my various ailments were going to respond to heavy training. If I am going to have problems I wanted to find out now instead of 4 months thru a 6 month training program. I did 4 big weeks and varied how much fast running I did from none, to 3 days/week.

July Totals
--Ran everyday (plan was to skip 7/28)
--44 runs, 13 doubles (plan was 41 30/11)
--Mileage 429 (plan was 365)
--Weeks 86,95,100,98 (Plan 85,88,87,75)
--Races: none
--Speedwork - did 2 sets of 1,200s(plan was 1,200s and 400s)
--Long runs 20,24,22,22 (plan 20, 22, 18)

August Plans
not too sure to be honest. July has shown me that I can run through my various leg issues (achilles, ankles, knees) as long as I am sensible about the routes I run. My groin/sportshernia problem is another matter. Good news is that it doesn't get bothered by high mileage, but fast stuff definitely makes it worse. The weeks where I did little/no speedwork seemed relatively easy. Those with trackwork definitely took their toll and ibuprofen proved helpful the day after.

I think I need to get some professional advice. If it is a sportshernia, I will need to get it fixed at some point. From what I have read, continued running won't make the surgery any worse, but obviously it's hard to train hard and run fast if it hurts all the time.

So I will try to find a doctor that knows something about sports hernias, and get checked out. Until then I think I'll keep going with reasonably high mileage, but relatively low intensity (ie. no track work). That will keep me fit and serve as continued base building.

No comments: