Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday Tempo

Ran early this morning and felt really sluggish when I left the house. Everything seemed to ache from the waist down to my toes. Schedule called for a tempo run, with 6 of the planned 9 miles at about 6:42 pace. First half mile was at 8:50 pace, so I was not feeling it.

After 3/4 mile I saw another runner, moving along at a reasonable clip (probably low 7's) and it inspired me to at least try and pick up the pace. Somehow I managed to get going reasonably well and by 1 mile (normally where I start the tempo pace) I was also doing low 7s. Decided I'd at least give it a shot. Various aches/pains worked themselves out and it was all going well by 1 1/2 miles.

Managed to do the full 6 at a good pace, and averaged 6:45 (just 3 seconds off pace). It felt great to actually run some fast miles after last week's 100 miles, all at 8:00 pace. Having said that, I'm still skipping Friday's speedwork at the track as I know that is going to cause me some achilles problems.

Another 9 days of July and then I get to assess how my body has handled the big miles and plan the rest of the year appropriately.

No comments: