Here's how it went...
- Got thru the first 5 in 34:15, so about 5 seconds ahead of plan. Felt pretty comfortable
- Next 2 included the hill so I flew when I could, and they went by in 13:01, so some money in the bank there.
- Miles 8 and 9 were OK at 6:49 - managed to ge back into a steady rhythm.
- Mile 10 6:57 and feeling like crap. I could see the 1:30 slipping away and realised I needed to pick it up and get back on pace.
- Mile 11 was back to 6:52 but it wasn't pretty and I was having no fun.
- Mile 12 and things were really hurting, but somehow managed to hold it together for a 6:58.
- Final mile+ .11 includced an uphill. It was ugly (that picture above was on the final approach at the end of an uphill section - I was feeling even worse than I looked) time was 7:36, which is 6:51 pace - not sure how I did that.
- Overall ran 1:29:24 which is 6:49 pace. Came about 240th out of about 5,000. I was happy with the result and the fact that I ran basically according to plan. I also now have a real gauge of my fitness so I can fine tune my training paces.
It was about 2 minutes slower than my time at this race last year, so I have my work cut out to get into sub 3 hour shape by the end of May. Next up: Shamrock'n"Half in mid March - daunting goal of under 1:27.......