Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mid Jan Update

Training is going OK, I've been running 60-65 miles/week for the last couple, with a 10k tempo and a 5k tempo. I've run every day except New Year's Day so far this year. Starting to feel good on the long runs (~17s) and the tempos are getting a little quicker (5K was at 6:18 pace).

With 4 weeks to go until Kaiser I think I can get into reasonable shape (plans are 70, 60, 50 and 40 miles race week) and have a reasonable shot at sub 1:25 (6:29 pace) I don't think I'm going to get into PR shape (1:23:47 = 6:23 pace)) but I expect I will be dumb enough on race day to go for it and it will be an ugly last 3-4 miles.....

Still haven't decided which late Spring marathon to run. So far it's looking like either Vancouver or Eugene, both of which are on May 1st.

2 comments:

Me and Jorge - Amber said...

Hi! Im doing the race on 2/6, its my first half. Im hoping to 2:10, which clearly is not anywhere near you! Any advice on the course? Ive built up to 11 miles and feel okay with that. I hat the first 3, they suck everytiem tho!

Alan Fletcher said...

Hi - the course is pretty fast on a good day. the first 5 miles are flat/rolling. then there is a big downhill thru golden gate park out to the coast highway, which takes you through about mile 7. then you go out to the zoo along the coast turn around and come back. if the weather is nice (ie. no wind) it is a great run. if it's windy it can be tough on that out and back (sometimes feels like a headwind both ways!). there is a little uphill right at the end, it's not that long or steep but seems a little mean to put right at the end of the race!

good luck!