Sunday, February 25, 2007

An unscheduled easy week

So I decided to listen to my body and take this week easy. 50 miles in 7 days with a cold or two really took its tool last week, so instead of plowing through doing the 45 miles I had planned I did just 30.

MONDAY was the 5k race, which should have been the 10k!
TUESDAY, I ran an easy 4.5 miles up & down the Rubicon trail in Tahoe with a friend.
WEDNESDAY, I ran the same trail again, but this time much faster and a little further. A really great workout. I really love running on snowy trails.
THURSDAY, it snowed very hard but I tried running anyway. Got about half a mile but the grips on my shoes kept getting clogged and then I'd fall on my ass. So I cut it short at just over a mile.
FRIDAY was the scheduled day off, so I followed the schedule!
SATURDAY I decided to spend the time with the kids and skipped running (first time in ages I've missed a whole workout)
SUNDAY was back to the plan. A long 16 miler with plenty of hills (1,100 feet of climbing) and a fast 3 mile section (7:45 pace). Overall pace was 8:38. This run included a 1:52 half marathon. Not bad for a long easy run!

My legs really feel good for taking the week pretty easy (except for Wed/Fri) so I think it was a smart move.

Next week should be low 40's, and then it's high 30's the week after, ending with the Shamrock'n Half Marathon in Sacramento. This is a flat course, unlike the wonderfully downhill Kaiser Half so I will be very pleased if I can match the time (1:38) but I know it's going to be tough.

Hopefully this easy week will help me somehow.

No comments: