Monday, April 2, 2007

One Year Running!

Happy Running Birthday to me!

It was one year ago today that I started running after spotting the AidsMarathon brochure in a pizza restaurant.

That first run (more accurately run/walk) was 3.06 miles at a struggling pace of 10:55. Last week I ran a 5k (3.1miles) at a pace of 6:38. What a difference a year makes!

I've gone through 4 pairs of shoes over the 1,252 miles, and have increased mileage up to a max of 50 per week. I've run 2 marathons, 3 half marathons, a 10k and two 5ks.

Running has pretty much taken over my life and I probably spend way to much time running, analysing my running, or planning my running. But if you're going to be addicted to something, it may as well be healthy.

Each race I run is a little faster than the last, so I'm still enjoying the (relatively) easy improvements that beginning runners see. I suspect that'll continue for maybe one more year then things will get a little tougher. At some point it will be impossible to shave of that next 3 minutes - and that's when I'll need to start doing something else.

For now though, it's all good. Running has certainly changed my life for the better and I really can't remember not doing it.

No comments: