Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cooler California

It's nice to be back in relatively cool California. Today's long run was a lot easier than all that desert running, even though it was 21 miles and hilly. It was still a lot better at 50-62 degrees. Went pretty easy and averaged 7:54 pace for the run, with just a couple miles down around low 7's. Heartrate was only 144, which was my lowest for a 20+ run.

The week of sand running was a fun change although the lack of hill, and uneven soft surface seems to have really tightened up my calves. Took me a good 5 miles to loosen things up this morning, but I feel really fit apart from that.

Weekly total was just over 88 miles, which is my third highest week ever. Not bad for a vacation week. Two more big weeks to go: 93 miles (11 runs over 7 days) and then 95 miles (also 11 runs over 7 days). That will get me to May 5th when I start my 3 week gradual taper (59 miles, 42 miles, 26 miles) for Edinburgh. If all goes well, I will have run almost 540 miles in a 6 week period, which is pretty silly to be honest, and I will definitely be ready to taper!

No comments: