Saturday, April 12, 2008

Marathon Pace Miles

Today was my long run for the week as I am travelling to Arizona tomorrow. The plan called for 17 miles and I decided to do 13 of them at marathon pace, so effectively a half marathon with a couple miles warmup/cooldown.

Picked a flat course out at Shoreline and Byxbee Parks. Weather was hot, it was 62 degrees at 8:30 and approaching the mid 70's when I finished, and the course had zero shade.

Ran easy to warmup and then at the mile 2 marker tried to settle down at 6:52 pace. Got into a steady pace round about 6:45-6:50 and just kinda kept it there. Got thru the 13 miles of that at an average of 6:47, so 5 seconds/mile ahead of plan. Ran a couple cooldown miles to make it 17 for the day.

So I ran a half marathon in 1:29:09, which was 50 seconds faster than my half in Sacramento 4 months ago, and that race almost killed me. The training is obviously working and today was a nice confidence booster for me. I will probably do a 22 miler with 10 at marathon pace in a couple weeks. If I can do those 10 miles comfortably at 6:52 pace I will be shooting for sub 3 hours in Edinburgh.

No comments: