Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday Tempo

It's Tuesday, so it's tempo day again.  Stretching it out a little this week to 7 miles.  Pace goal was a little up in the air as it's been a while since I have run a long tempo.  Decided to aim for 6:30ish but base it on perceived effort (obviously slower uphill and faster down).  Course was my usual tempo, extended a bit.  Overall the net drop was about 60', so a reasonably honest course, especially given the fact that it climbs for the last 2.5 miles.

Chart pretty much shows it all - the effort based approach seems to have worked if you look at the haertrate - climbing slightly towards teh end, so perhaps I should have eased off just a little on the last mile or so.

Overall pace was 6:30 for the seven miles.  I think that may be the quickest that I have ever run 7 miles.  Mind you, I don't run 7 miles fast very often with a 10k only being 6.2 miles.

Happy with the 6:30 pace.  Maybe there is a slight chance I can actually run my half marathon in 12 days at 6:38 pace and get my sub 1:27 result.  I am sure hoping it is the case since I chose a bib number of SUB87 and I will look pretty stupid coming in at 1:31 with that on.

I'm in for the 5k this Sunday.  I'm thinking of trying to run at 6:06 pace, which on an accurate 5k would bring me in at 18:59.  Now I'm sure the course won't be precise and I'm sure I won't be able to hold 6:06 for 3+ miles but I am hoping to get somewhere round about 19.  My best ever for a 5k was a solo time trial on the track (accurate distance, but no-one to run with) at 19:38, so I should be able to better that at the very least.

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

Wow, with that custom bib, you'd better run the time! Good luck with that.