Sunday, January 21, 2007

A tough end to week 3

Finished the week with another tough workout. A 16 mile "easy" run but with the last quarter at race pace (4x8 minute miles). The goal is to get used to running on pace when you are tired.

So the first 11.5 miles were relatively easy; a nice gentle 9:20 pace round Shoreline Park for an hour and 3/4. Then it was time to pick it up to my planned half marathon race pace. Did the first 2 miles starting at 8:15, working down to about 8:05. These first two were into the wind. As I came around the bend and got the wind behind me I picked it up and ran the last 2 in around 7:45, including an all out sprint for the last 100 meters. Then an easy 1/2 mile to catch my breath and cool down.

Overall it was 16.04 miles, averaging 9:04. Certainly it's a tough way to end a long run but I felt really good not wimping out during those last 2 miles (which my body was definitely recommending....). Hopefully it will help with the half marathon after about 10 miles when things get a little tough.

Another big training week for me. Around 42 miles, with 4 tough workouts (2x6 mile hill climbs in Tahoe, a 6 mile fast progressive tempo run Friday and this long run today). I'm hoping I'm not overdoing it but other than feeling hungry all the time I'm feeling really good. Knees are OK as long as I stretch out and ice properly every night.

Now it's time to eat!

No comments: