Thursday, June 21, 2007

Splash, splash......

Day 3. My first "long run" following 2 days of intervals (1:30s and 2:30s). This was 3 minutes warmup, 30 minutes steady and 5 minutes cooldown. I appear to have invented a time machine of sorts; Pool running slows time almost to a stop.

In order to stay sane, and have something to plot on my various charts I have worked out a pool running to real running conversion based on level of effort. Today's run was 5.17 "miles". But trust me, I would rather have run for 15.17 miles than got in the pool.

I've worked out my schedule over the next few months to gradually reintroduce running: very slowly at first (i'm going to run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for 15 minutes next tuesday). As things get better i'll lengthen the runs a little but keep to 2 short runs/week. I'm determined that I'm going to get through thios with a complete recovery so it's 9 week before I am truly running again. (then I'll keep 2 days in the pool for 3 weeks, then 1 for 6 more, then I'm done - hopefully forever!)

This week is 21 miles in the pool and 0 running.
Next week is 15 in the pool (going to mexico) and 2 running.
Week 3 is 26 pool and 3 running
Week 4 - 29/4
Week 5 - 30/5
Week 6 - 32/6
Week 7 - 34/6
Week 8 - 36/7
Week 9 - 37/7... and then......Woohoo!
Week 10 - 14 in the pool and 17 on the roads!
The first "quick" miles will wait until weeks 12-13 depending on how I'm feeling and then if all is good I'll try a 10k mid September to see if all this crap has retained any of my fitness.

I will be very pissed if I'm really slow.

Then, hopefully, I can get back on track for the Cal International in December.

No comments: