Thursday, September 20, 2007

Physio Update

First physio visit yesterday....

good physio (I think), has me on a rehab plan that is essentially what I have been doing but with a little more structure and some additional muscle strengthening exercises for my weak chicken legs.

Lots of stretching (especially before/after every run/workout)
Eccentric calf exercises: 3 sets of 15, twice a day, for right and left. I've been doing these most days, but only once. He also wants me to do them half with straight leg and half with bent knee (for the soleus muscle that's at the bottom of the calf. this will go to 3 times day soon, then we add some weights.
Thigh strengthening exercises since they are so weak (apparently this is a side effect of sitting on your ass for 20 years). I need to do them every day too.
Plenty of icing after exercises and running.

Good news is that it's all easy stuff that I can do at home in front of the TV so there is a chance that I will actually do them. If it meant going to the gym it would be a different story.

He thinks that we aren't too far gone in terms of the injury and says I should be fine running 2-3 miles/day and then slowly adding miles (but not speed or hills) as things get stronger. His guestimate was 3 months until I was back to "normal".

So that gives me a solid plan until the end of October.
- do the physio at home every day
- visit the physio office 2x week
- build up to running every day by mid october
.....should be 4-5 this week, 5 next, then 6 then 7
- build my "long run" up to 5-6 miles by end of october

I go back to see Dr. Runner on October 28th to see what he has to say about all this.

Then I will either book up for London or cancel.

No comments: