Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Longer Tempo

This morning it was tempo time, but instead of 2x3miles with a 2 minute recovery I decided to go 1x6miles. Basically that means I get to run about 15 seconds slower and get the same effect. I feel I've been running too many fast miles recently and I have a 10k coming up which means a lot more miles at 6:25. So 6 miles at 7:00 is much easier on the legs than 2x3miles at 6:44.

Easy mile warmup and then started on a 6 mile route that went up about 100', rolled up and down a bit and then dropped back down. Tried to focus on steady effort, instead of worrying about pace. Turned out pretty good - kept things basically about 160 HR and the 6 mile section was average of 7:00 pace. Easy mile home for 8.35 at 7:15 pace. I think I will extend all of my tempos this way and go further, but a little slower.

Yesterday was a 5 miler starting slow, but ending up in the high 6's. And Monday was a very leisurly recovery run of 5 miles at a relaxing 8:30 pace. Steady 8 tomorrow and then some unpleasant 10k pace miles (1x2mile) on Friday.

No comments: