Thursday, March 27, 2008

Doubles

So this week has been a week of doubles (running twice a day) so far. I have been finding that the higher mileage in just 7 runs is a strain on just about everything. So I decided to add some easy runs in at the end of the day, so that I could run shorter in the morning. Key workouts (tempo, midweek long run, pace run, or weekend long run) aren't changed, just the easy/recovery stuff.

In practice what I've been doing is to run the normal morning run and then do an additional easy run at the end of the day, which is probably not the best way to introduce doubles into your schedule.

Monday was 7.5 AM, 6.9 PM
Tuesday was 9.8 AM, 5 PM
Wednesday was 9.4 AM, 5 PM

There are five things I've noticed so far:
1) Miles add up quickly - I will be way over my 76 mile target for the week
2) I am feeling great. The slow second run (8:30 pace) really seems to help
3) I am always running, about to run, or have just run
4) I need more running clothes
5) Running shoes are still wet and sweaty after 9 hours in a gym bag

Thursday is my midweek long run, so I'll just do a 12-15 miler, probably in the evening.
Friday will be 8 AM with 5 at some reasonable race pace, and then probably a recovery 5 at night.
Saturday should be 11, but I'll probably split that and do something like 8+5
Then Sunday is 22 with 10 miles at marathon pace.

If I do all that I'll be in the high 90's/low 100's for mileage, which is a big jump from my previous high of 84. Planning similar next week and then it's another cutback week before I go into my final big 3 week phase before tapering starts in early May.

No comments: