Sunday, May 24, 2009

Close, but no cigar

So it was not to be.... 3:03:40...... and it finished pretty ugly.  At 10k I was on 2:57 pace, at the half 2:58, and at 30k 2:59.  Then about 33-34k (~21 miles) the wheels came off and I lost 3 minutes in the last 5 miles.  

It got pretty warm towards the end and a lot of people were struggling, but I kept on running, and managed to drag it in 7:30-7:40 pace..... legs refused to speedup.  Only 76 made it under 3 (vs 130 last year), the winner did 2:13+ vs 2:10 last year, so it wasn't just me.

My time was good enough for 96th overall, out of 4,000+, which I was happy with as I didn't expect to make top 100. (that time would have been 156 last year)

Overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out - it was almost a 3 minute PR - would have been nice to go sub 3, but there you go.   Now I have to go and run sub 3 in Chicago in October, which if it is hot, will suck.

I'll post some more details later when I am capable of doing math.  

2 comments:

Team Vazac said...

Congrats on the PR, Alan! If someone would have offered you this result the day you got knifed by Dr. Brown, wouldn't you have taken it??

Alan Fletcher said...

yep - at the time, 3:03 seemed like a long way away!