Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back to the schedule

A wet and windy 7 miles today at about 7:30 pace. Little slower uphill and a little faster heading down, overall kept things easy and just ran at a comfortable pace.

Saturday was a similar sort of run so the weekly total was only about 20, which is the lowest weekly mileage since last October. But I'm feeling good from the break, and all my charts/graphs show that I'm back running where I was after the Feb 3rd half marathon.

I can still feel a little pinch in my right achilles but it is very faint and is OK if I am stretching the calf muscle properly and icing at night, so I think I'll be OK. So next week I get back into 7 day training, planning to go somewhere in the mid 60's.

Edinburgh is 13 weeks from today: with 2 cutback/easy weeks and 3 weeks of taper prior to the race, that leaves 8 hard weeeks of training, which will average in the mid/high 70's. I'll try to stay off the bigger hills, since they obviously are not going over too well with my wimpy achilles.

I'm definitely expecting that I will need to take some time off after Edinburgh to heal it properly but don't think (fingers crossed) it's going to get much worse between now and May.

I'm skipping the 10K time trial I was going to do early March, so the next event is a half marathon time trial in 4 weeks (I can't find a local race that fits my schedule). Not sure if I am really up to spending 1 hour 26 minutes running laps of the high school track, but that is the current plan. That means 52.75 laps, each in 98 seconds

After that I have a half to race on 5/3, which is 22 days before Edinburgh - that will be my 1:25 attempt, which I need to do before I can think about going for sub 3.

No comments: