Tuesday, November 27, 2007

London 0 - Edinburgh 3

This week the lottery results for the London Marathon were released. Neither my brother nor my sister got in, so that removes 2 of the 2 reasons I had to specifically run London next April. Given my inability to register in time to get my own entry, and the rapidly increasing price of "buying" my way in, it looks like London is off for 2008.

Alternatives:
1) Paris - the week before London
---pros: big race, fast course, relatively well organized
---cons: France, sold out

2) Rotterdam - same day as London
---pros: big race, fast course, well organized
---cons: who wants to go to Rotterdam? where is Rotterdam?

3) Edinburgh - 6 weeks later (May 25th)
---pros: medium size race (6,000), brother/sister have guarenteed entry (it's the London overflow), US entry is easy to get (and still available), fast course, 6 weeks additional training
---cons: Scotland, 6 weeks additional training

At this stage it is looking like Edinburgh is the winner. I'll look at entry & travel logistics but assuming I can sort those out I think I am going to Scotland in May. That also means I get to rejigger my training schedule and add a bunch of additional base building into the plan, which in the long run is probably going to help me as it means more time getting used to the higher mileage before adding as many intense workouts.

No comments: