Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shoes....


So it's been new shoes week. On Friday I needed to replace my running shoes. Mizuno had upgraded the shoe I use (Mizuno Inspire) from the 3 to a 4. Basically the same shoe but they did make some changes (vs just the normal paintjob changes). I ran in it Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed and I've been feeling a few more twinges in the legs/knees than in recent weeks. Not sure if it's the shoes, the increased mileage or the introduction of strides.

Last night I picked up some more new shoes. These are also Mizunos, but this time the Elixir 3. This is a lighter weight (therefore faster) shoe. The plan is to use this one for my tempo work, pace work, speedwork and races, and use the Inspires for everything else. I ran in them today to try them out and did an easy 12 miler. They definitely feel faster. The run was good, less knee/hip twinges than in the Inspires. We'll see how the knees/calves feel this evening. I'll use them again Fri and Sat and see if they are better.

I am thinking that the Inspire 4s are just not a good match for me. I'll see if I can load up on 4-5 pairs of the old model, which will get me thru the training for Edinburgh, and then I'll see how it is in June.

No comments: