Monday, May 28, 2007

Solid Week

A pretty solid week for the last full week of May....

No running on Monday, just recovering from the 10k.

Tuesday was hot, and I was running about 3pm. Did a 7 miler with 5@ a slow tempo pace (7:21). That didn't feel great. Of course, water might help!

Easy 5 on Wednesday (8:18)

Thursday was meant to be 6x1000 meters at the track but the high school was training, so I did a wimpy 7 with just 3 at a slow tempo (7:22).

Easy 7 on Friday (8:28)

Lots of hills on Saturday with an "easy" 12 miler (8:13). This was a tough one as it had some pretty steep climbing, but it was a good run.

Wrapped up with another easy 6-7 on Sunday.

Total for the week of 44-45.

Given the large improvement I still need to go under 1:30, I've changed the plan a little for the next 6 weeks as I build up to the Los Gatos Half Marathon. I think I need to be doing more miles at the planned race pace. I'm upping the mileage a little by introducing a second longish run (9-12) on Thursdays. The plan for those is to run most of the miles at an easy pace (low 8's) but to do 2x2 mile stretches at planned race pace (6:52). I need a little extra something to get those last 4 minutes off the clock. Not sure if this will do the trick, or just mess up everything. Guess we'll see in July.

Weekly planned mileage at 57, 55, 44 (including a 10k pace check), 57, 54, 50 and then 37 for race week.

I also decided it was time to get some faster shoes for track work (not that I ever seem to end up doing this) and the shorter 5k races. So I got some racing flats. They are bright red and pretty ugly, so if I wear them I will have to run quick!

No comments: