Friday, April 17, 2009

Desert Miles

After some time in Virginia, I am now just outside Phoenix, so it was time for some desert running.  Plan was to run East to McDowell Mountain Park, and then back.  Wasn't too sure there was actually a trail between the end of the road and the park but decided to try it out instead of running the longer route round the other roads.  Weather wasn't too bad for Phoenix, probably only about 70 at 9am. 

The part by the arrow in the map was my only problem when I got "off" the trail.  There were a number of "trails" but most of them were overgrown with these razor sharp bushes, so I shredded my legs.  Once I got back on track I was fine, although I must have looked pretty scary with blood pouring down my legs running thru the desert.

Route was mostly good trails, although occasionally the footing was a little soft as it was a "wash" which is apparently where the water runs when it runs twice a year here in the desert.  

Ran 11 miles out, bought a Snickers bar, refilled my water and ran back.  700' drop going out so a 700' climb coming back.  Saw wild horses, hawks, lizards and a scorpion - no rattelsnakes.  A few hikers near the camp in the park, some horseback riders and a group of mountain bikers who passed me only to then drag their lazy asses so slowly up the hill that I ran past all of them.

22 miles overall at 8:02 pace, which given the heat, the elevation change and the time spent ripping myself to pieces on evil-cactus-bush things, not too bad!

Hotter tommorow (mid 80s, and hotter again Sunday high 90s) so we'll see how those runs go.

No comments: