Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chicago Week 7 Training

Finally! I am, at last, done with a pretty tough week. The 3rd big week in a row, +very busy at work, +lots going on at home, +a cold/sinus problem = quite a rough 91 miles. Knees ache, shins ache and I can feel that my hernia is not 100% better when I run this much. Desperately hoping that a cutback week next week sorts all of that out.

Here's the rundown for last week.....
  • Monday - started with an easy 8 miler
  • Tuesday - a good tempo with 8 miles at 6:31 pace, followed by a steady 8 in the evening
  • Wednesday - easy 7, no time to double
  • Thursday - messed around at the track in the morning with a bunch of 400s in 80-90s, but nothing that was all that useful or impressive
  • Friday - a solid hilly 14 miler
  • Saturday - 7 in the morning, 9 in the afternoon
  • Sunday - 22 long, flat miles, not particularly quick
Overall an OK, but not great, week - Tuesday's tempo was good, everything else was pretty much just alright.

Next week the schedule calls for 70 but I am going to take it very easy and not worry about miles. I have one more big up cycle before Chicgao (the following 4 weeks are 85/95/100/90) so I want to go into that phase feeling as fresh as possible. I'll skip Monday, and then take it day by day the rest of the week. I suspect I'll come in around 50-60 with very little in the way of hard running. Sunday calls for 17 miles with 13 at marathon pace, which would be a good confidence builder, but right now I am not looking forward to it.

Perhaps I am getting to old too run this much......

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

ouch--don't overdo it, Alan. We want you to arrive at the start in good shape ;-)