Sunday, May 2, 2010

Slowly Getting Less Slow

Time for another long overdue blog update......

March sucked - I ran 7 miles.

April was better. Decided I needed to start running every other day, and then take things from there. Here's how the last 5 weeks went
  1. 3 runs - 13 miles - all slow
  2. 3 runs - 18 miles - all slow
  3. 2 runs - 10 miles - all slow
  4. 3 runs - 18 miles - all slow
  5. 6 runs - 37 miles - one tempo, 3.5miles at 6:40 pace
So this last week was getting back towards respectable. Longest run is just over 10 miles and I've done a few hilly runs. I'm obviously nowhere where I was in December but at least I can see the way forward now.

My achilles/calf all seem OK. I have a pain in my right knee but it's getting better - just a side effect of starting to run again.

Bay to Breakers is up in 2 weeks. I just got my race number - I am #51 out of 50,000. I have a seeded start. There are 50 elites, and about 250 seeded runners. So being number 51 makes me the first of the seeded runners. I think this is based on when people registered, not how fast they are! I expect I am going to be one of the slowest of the seeded runners because:
  1. I am old (40+. where the seeded entry times are much easier)
  2. I am really out of shape right now because I have not run much since January
I am thinking I may need to wear some sort of costume so I can run anonymously. Last year there was a guy who ran in the seeded pack in a pink gorilla suit! (He ran a 46 minute 12k, which is just over 6 minute miles!) - No way I am going to be running that fast!




1 comment:

Michael E. Price said...

Good luck on Sunday. I've just stated my own running blog and have enjoyed reading yours as inspiration.