Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Magic Shoes

Two weeks until the Kaiser half and as expected, I have not magically gotten into great shape. So the answer is obviously new shoes! Just got the new Mizuno Wave Musha 3. These are a lightweight (8.7 0z) trainer. I've been running for the last 6 months in Musha 2's, which were blue. Obviously red shoes are faster than blue ones so these must be better.


Had a cold/sinus thing that I have been ignoring but it has definitely slowed me down. I think I'm over it now (which considering I am ignoring it is a strange concept) so can't use that as an excuse for a slow race on 2/6.

last week was 58 (planned 60) with a 2x3 mile tempo. i did the first 3 at 6:20 which was a little optimisitc to be honest - more inline with how fit i think i should be and not how fit i am. it felt ok, no doubt aided by the 150' drop over the 3 miles. the 3 coming back (with the corresponding 150' climb) was not at 6:20, but more like 6:40, so not great. The week before was only 40 (planned 70) with a 20 min 5K (6:25) on the track as my tempo.

So realistically i am nowhere near 1:25 shape for a half right now (6:29 pace) and am more likely fit enough to do a 1:27-1:28. however, knowing me, and the course if the weather is good i suspect i will go out way too fast, run the first 5 at sub 1:25 pace, blast through the downhill hitting the beach at mile 7 well on pace for under 1:25. then it will gradually slow until the wheels fall off completely somewhere on the way back from the zoo on the great highway (miles 10-13). if it happens at mile 12+ i'll be ok, if it happens closer to 10 i'm in big trouble.

fingers crossed that the fancy red shoes can do the trick!

No comments: