Sunday, July 22, 2007

Another week splashes by....

Five weeks down, four to go (Hopefully). Only three pool running sessions this week, but all of them pretty brutal. I've decided that if I'm going to get in the pool and run I may as well go for it. The new goal is to pool "run" hard enough to make me throw up. I have got close to puking at the track doing 400 meter repeats but never quite crossed the line.

Now this may sound a little extreme, but I need to have a goal and there's little else measurable in the pool to strive for.

Monday was 2 sets of 9x1:30 hard effort, with 30 seconds rest. That may not seem like much, but it's like running 18 laps (4.5 miles) of the track at 6 minute pace. About 6 intervals in, I picked up the pace bigtime and after doing 3 real fast, thought that this pool thing might be a good workout after all (heartrate up to 170). That was the start of the "pool run 'til you puke" goal...

The second set of 9 was not quite enough to reach my new goal despite doing the last 3 all out (the kids thought I'd gone crazy). Two days later was 2 sets of 5x2:30 with 30s rest. This didn't get me quite as close. Today was 50 minutes steady to hard effort - that is definitely a tough workout, and its hard to get out of the pool at the end, but it is not going to do it. I think the short intervals are the key, so I need to really focus next week.

Tomorrow is 2 sets of 10x1:30, which I'm thinking may be enough.

That is going to have keep me motivated until August 2nd (11 days from now), as that is the next time I'm running out of the pool. Still hoping to get back to some level of normal running by August 20, but we'll see....

No comments: