Friday, February 15, 2008

Smart or Lazy?

So I am thinking that I need to take an unplanned easy week. Since the Kaiser half marathon I've felt a little off - stomach still not 100% and this cold is hanging around - I've definitely had some great runs but usually not without some sort of niggling issue (sore shins, achey knees). I think I've just overdone it a little. Also, my speed/heartrate trending is up a little which is a good sign that things aren't right.

The real clincher is that for the last few days I've fet a little stress in my right achilles. After the problems I had last summer with my left one I am very aware of how problematic that little bugger can be. So I am definitely not going to screw this leg up like I did last time.

It's also probably time for a break, I've only skipped 5 days since I got running again back in early October. And the last 12 days have been especially intense: ~130 miles, starting with a hard half marathon, sub 6 minute mile on the road, 21 miler thru the hills, and a 7 mile tempo run in the afternoon sun. I've also run at some weird times since work has been pretty hectic.

I am going to skip any hard workouts for the next week or so: No speedwork, no tempo, no hills, no long runs - I'll probably do a few easy runs, but skip days completely if I feel like it. Turned this morning's 10 miler with 2x2 miles at 6:16 into a 3.5 miler at 8:30 pace.

Timing works out well since I have no races in the near future, I'm still 15 weeks out from Edinburgh and I'm in Tahoe next week and it looks like the weather won't be all the good for running up there.

Hopefully this is a sign that I am getting a little smarter about running and listening to my body. Or it could just be that I'm getting lazy.

No comments: