Sunday, March 30, 2008

107 mile week

Finished out a massive week today with a 21 miler to make the weekly total 107 miles.

I was running with a friend who is doing the Boston marathon in 3 weeks. Original plan was for me to do the last 10 miles at 6:52 with the first 10 at 8ish. Instead I decided to run more evenly due to the high mileage this week

First 3 miles were easy at 7:55 average pace, then we picked it up a little and ran the next 15 at 7:34. After 18 miles it turned back uphill so we kicked again and ran 2 at 7:13 with some stuff down in the mid 6's, then the final mile easy at 7:50. Overall was 20.69 miles in 2:37 (7:35 pace). Felt reasonably easy to be honest, no bonking problems at all. Very happy with that, especially considering that was at the end of such a big week. I could easily have kept going for 5.5 more miles at 7:30 pace to do a sub 3:20 (boston qualifier).

I have another big week this week, but will probably try to limit it to about 90ish. Then it's a cutback week (60-70?), followed by my last big 3 week cycle. Then I will be tapering for Edinburgh. Unless I do something dumb (which is not impossible), I am feeling pretty confident about a solid time - still not sure if I'll shoot for 3 or something slightly more conservative around 3:10-3:15. As of now, I'm upping my training paces slightly as if I am aiming for sub 3. I can always dial it back on race day if I feel like it.

No comments: