Monday, May 5, 2008

Tapering

So I am officially tapering for my race......

Rounded out last week with my tenth and final run of over 20 miles on Saturday (20.6m at 7:50 pace) and then a couple easy runs Sunday for 13 and change. Weekly total was 82 miles. Stepping it down from the planned 100 seems to have helped a little and my legs are starting to feel a little less heavy.

I looked back at my original training plan (Daniels' 24 week, 70 mile max) and noticed that I am supposed to do a 8-10k tune-up race this Saturday. I'd somehow lost that in the various replanning activities.

Fortunately there is one just down the road on Saturday morning that looks pretty good, so I'll probably run that. I haven't done much in the way of fast running so it should be interesting. My equivalent time for a 3 hours marathon is 39:04 (6:17/mile pace). That's a 80 seconds faster than my best 10k time so it's going to be ugly.

I should definitely PR, but I'm not sure that 6.2 miles at 6:17 pace is gonna just happen.

Rest of this week looks like this...
Mon - Recovery 10 as a double
Tue - short tempo (4m) 8m overall
Wed - easy 12
Thu - easy 6 with some strides
Fri - easy 5
Sat - 10k race 39:04 goal
Sun - easy 17
should be in the low 60s for the week.

No comments: