Monday, September 29, 2008

Waiting...

Of course, now has to be the time that William Brown is on vacation doesn't it!   He is out until mid-October, so I have an appointment for an exam on October 17th.  Not sure how quickly surgery could follow, hopefully that next week.

He has a rehab schedule on his website, that has you doing jogging/easy running in week 4, and assuming things go well, return to "normal" after 9 weeks.

So if I can get the surgery the week of October 20th, here is how things could play out.....

Rehab - 9 weeks
  • Starting 10/27 (weeks 1,2,3) - walking 4xday
  • Starting 11/17 (weeks 4,5,6) - jogging/easy running, ending at 3 miles, 4 days/week
  • Starting 12/8 (weeks 7,8,9) - running (just easy miles) - ending at 6 miles, 6-7 days/week
Mileage Rebuilding - 7 weeks
  • Add in tempo runs (start at 3m, grow to 6m)
  • Add in doubles (start at 1x, grow to 3x)
  • Add in strides (start at 5x100m, grow to 10x100m)
  • Add in log runs (start at 9m, grow to 21m)
  • Mileage - start in 40's, grow to 70's
That would put me in position to start marathon training around the middle of February, which means I'd be looking for a race around June.

I'm feeling pretty out of shape right now - haven't run (or done any exercise) in 8 weeks, and have put on about 10lbs.  I figure I've cut my calorie intake by about 1,000/day, but probably should have cut it by about 1,400 to stay at the same weight.

I figure that being in shape for surgery is probably a good thing so am going to run 3-4 times/week for the next 3 weeks.  Nothing long or fast, just some easy 4-5 milers.  I don't think it's going to make anything materially worse at this stage.  So tomorrow will be my first run since August 16th, and with the help of some Vitamin I, I'm sure it'll be fine.

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

Sorry to hear it is taking so long, but I hope you'll be running again very soon.