Sunday, February 20, 2011

Planning Ahead

OK, so despite a crash and burn in the last race, it was still an OK time so I am thinking I can get back into real PR shape.  Thinking ahead on plans, and also considering the changes in Boston registration regulations I have the following basic scheme.....

  1. Run a decent half at Oakland on 3/27 - 7 weeks after Kaiser I am hoping to get into PR shape and do 1:23 something.  This may be tough but I'll give it a shot.
  2. Run a marathon under 3:10 to get early qualification to Boston before September 12th. Now I am 45 my Boston time is 3:30:59 which is a pretty easy run for me, but in order to deal with the problem of Boston selling out in 8 hours they have changed the rules.  People who beat the BQ by 20 minutes can register a week early.  2 days later they ope to people who beat by 10 mins, then 2 days later those who beat by 5 mins.  Then, if it's no full they open to people who meet the qualification time.  So for me, it's a 3:10 to get the early (i.e. guaranteed) entry.  This should be easy enough if I pick a reasonable race, which I am still researching.
  3. Run a fall/winter marathon and PR (beat 2:58:13).  Thinking California International Marathon (CIM) for this.  It's first Sunday in December.  I'd love to be shooting for 2:55 which I should be able to do if I have a good spring/summer/fall of training.
  4. Run Boston in 2012 and win it (HAHAHA)

So that's the plan.  training needs to pick up from the current 60ish to a little closer to triple digits. Although I'm feeling pretty dedicated as I ran it crappy cold wet weather 3 times this week, which is a lot for a soft Californian like me.

Next week I'm hoping to get to 70, but I'm in Hawaii so will probably slack off and drink too much.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Alan, we exchanged posts back in 2009 when we both ran the SFM. I think we finished within a minute or two of each other. Moved out to Napa, CA this past fall.... looks like we have similar goals, so I'll be on the watch for your upcoming races. I may be venturing down south for some races this spring/summer... stay healthy!