Monday, June 11, 2007

Getting Better....

Ran my first long run (13 miles) yesterday since hitting my recent injury. It was a very flat route and run at a steady 8:15 pace, for a total time of just under 1:50. Felt a little pain after 9-10 miles but nothing major. Overall it was pretty encouraging to be able to stay up and running on it for almost 2 hours.

Apart from that run it was not a big week: just 2 other runs for a total of 25 miles, which after last week's 15 puts all of my June mileage targets completely out the window. I'm going to try to run 4 consecutive days this week (Tuesday thru Friday) and put a couple of 6:45 miles in during the Wednesday run. If that all goes well I'll skip Saturday and then race the 10k on Sunday morning.

I'm thinking that a hard race will probably upset my achilles but I'd rather find that out now in a 10k, versus discovering that in mid July during a half marathon. If it doesn't hold up in the 10k at least I'll be able to take some time off and not impact my December marathon training plan.

My goals for the 10k were originally.....
------(Goal 1 - new PR, sub 42:51 6:54 Pace)
------(Goal 2 - sub 42:00 6:46 Pace)
------(Stretch goal - sub 41:00 6:36 Pace)

I'll probably start out relatively slow (7:10 pace) and then see if anything falls apart as I gradually pick up the pace. Most important thing is to see if I'm really recovered enough to run hard, without actually making things much worse. If all goes well I'll perhaps be able to meet Goal #1. I'm not thinking that the others are going to happen this time around.

No comments: