Monday, August 6, 2007

Another week over

Yet another week of no running goes by. Just 3 sessions in the pool this week, less than 20 miles and only 2 hours 15. Total time running in the pool is now almost 17 hours, which is about 17 hours too many.

My achilles is strangely starting to hurt a little more - probably due to the fact that I've been stretching a little more. It's now hurting at night when the foot is bent (so the tendon is being compressed). Research seems to indicate that this could be because it has healed and there is scar tissue that's getting squeezed. I now sleep on my front with my feet stuck off the end of the bed, which keeps the foot at 90 degrees and avoids compressing (or stretching) the tendon. That helps. People who've been thru this mention that they had some pain like this and that the first few runs usually "sorted things out" as the scar tissue breaks down.

I am going to try a 20 minute run this Wednesday or Thursday up in Tahoe on a nice flat trail. I'll be sure to stretch/warmup before and ice afterwards. Hopefully it'll all be good, my scar tissue will sort itself out and I'll be back out on the roads again!

No comments: