Friday, January 25, 2008

Fast Friday

Friday means fast miles. It was my last half marathon pace miles before the Kaiser half marathon on Superbowl Sunday. Today's plan was to do the middle 7 miles of a 10 miler at 6:40 pace. I've given up finding flat courses around here (unless I want to do lap after lap on the track) so had a course that went out 5 miles and back 5 miles. Planned to start the HM pace stuff at 1.5miles and end at 8.5.

This meant a 75' climb in the first 1/2 mile, then down 200' over the next 3 and a bit. Then a climb back up of 200' after the turnaround. The 7m ended at the top of the hill, which was a little masochistic.














First mile was about 7:00, which was OK due to the climb. Next 3 miles were fast at 6:28 with one half mile dipping to 6:20 pace. Then I turned around. I knew I'd run about 6:25-6:30 going out, so needed to run 6:50-6:55 coming back, so I tried to keep in that range.

It was very wet and pretty windy and not a lot of fun. First 2 miles back averaged 6:54, then I had a 90 degree turn and was running into a headwind that seemed a lot stronger than the tailwind was on the way out! Slowed me way down to 7:12. Managed to get things back on track with a final mile at 6:57, which included the final climb to the peak.

Overall the 7 miles were at 6:44, which seems close to 6:40 but over a half marathon, 4 seconds/mile is almost a minute. Average HR was 167, which is about right for half pace (miles 2-8 of my last half averaged 168).

So where does that leave me for Kaiser....?
...it's gonna be close.
......my excel charts/data say I can do 1:27:30 or better
......this run says it's gonna be hard
...Kaiser course is much easier than today
......there's a 2 mile downhill stretch that I can do at 6:15ish - that's ~1 minute saved!
...race effort is more than training effort
...race adrenalin helps
...competition helps

So, surprise surprise, my plan is that I am going to go all out. Data says I can do it, so I'm gonna believe that and not what my body is telling me. I'm going to pace for just faster than 1:27, (6:37) for the first 4.5 miles - I know I can do that OK. I'll run the downhill 2 miles flat out (6:15 ish) and see where I am halfway through as I come out of the park and hit the coast road. I figure I should be on pace for a 1:26 but the 2nd half is harder and I'll be on teh edge by then. I'll try to hold the 6:37 pace as long as possible and then hope that adrenalin/guts carry me home.

That gives me a chance of a monster PR down around 1:26, but also a reasonable chance to meet my actual goal of 1:27:30. Of course, it could all go horribly wrong and I could end up dragging my ass home in something the wrong side of 1:30, which would be a big blow to my unrealistic sub-3 goal for Edinburgh.

No comments: