Friday, January 4, 2008

Wet and Windy

I think I have been transported back to England......

It is very wet and very windy (35mph) here today, and after doing that for most of the night it looks like a warzone out there with trees and branches strewn all over the place.

Being the dedicated soul that I am, I went out for my easy 9 miler this morning anyway. No-one of English heritage is going to be put off by a little bit of rain.

I was drenched to the skin within 2 minutes. Everything was so flooded I just gave up trying to avoid the puddles and the hat I was wearing didn't seem to keep the rain out of my face, partly becuase the rain seemed to falling horizontally vs the more traditional vertically.

But the fun really started when I got to the dirt trails in the hills. Well, yesterday they were dirt trails, today they were rivers! Trees everywhere and a lot of water running down from the hills. It was a combintaion run, swim, wade and flight but I did my 9 miles a bit faster than 8:00 pace.

There was a stretch that went uphill into the wind for 3 miles that was a slog but overall it was a very enjoyable run, despite the weather. Usually on my run I'll see at least half a dozen other runners, but today I saw nobody. Bunch of California wimps. Tomorrow looks a little better so perhaps a few of them will brave the elements.

No comments: