Friday, October 17, 2008

Countdown!

So I finally saw Dr. William Brown this morning, and he confirmed that not only do I have a bilateral sports hernia (tear in the top layer of the abdominal wall/oblique muscles) but I have also managed to tear through the next two layers to add a couple of regular inguinal hernias. (I guess running 430 miles in July wasn't quite such a good idea after all....).  These are the ones where your intestines start to poke out through the holes in your muscles. Pretty good stuff eh?

Good news is that he can fix it all the same way at the same time and it doesn't really make the recovery any more involved.

I'm set for surgery next Wednesday morning.  He recommends doing it under general since it's a bilateral, but there is the option for local plus sedation if I want.  He already prescribed me some percocet for the post op days.  

He gets almost all his patients back to their sport by about 9 weeks, with 95% of them pain free. The other 5% have some slight residual pain but not enough to deter them from competing.  Other good news is that out of the 300 he has done, he has only had 3 reoccurrences, which is encouraging.

The days after the surgery aren't meant to be too much fun, and he said I probably wouldn't feel too much like driving to work and being nice to people for a week or so.  Funny, I don't feel like driving to work to be nice to people most days anyway.

The 9 week rehab plan will take me to December 24th, so if all goes well, I will be good as new on Christmas Day!

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

So I'll see you at the Redding marathon in January then!

Seriously, all the best with the surgery. Take it easy afterwards to ensure full recovery.

Hey, I just found out about a nice run in your home country:
The Grand Union Canal 145-Mile Race (from the center of Birmingham to the center of London along the Grand Union Canal).

It turns out I might just be in London around that time, so I am thinking of signing up.

Take care,
Peter