Monday, October 27, 2008

Recovery So Far

It's been five days since surgery and things are going well.
  • Wednesday (surgery day) was pretty easy as all I did was sit on my butt and I was still pumped full of drugs from the hosiptal. 
  • Thursday went OK. I didn't take any hardcore pain killers, just 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours.  Walked round the block 3 times, albeit slowly and a little hunched over.
  • Friday was pretty much like Thursday, but I was walking like a 60 year old vs an 80 year old.
  • Saturday I went down to 2 ibuprofen every 8 hours and walked for about 2 miles total.
  • Sunday was just 2 ibuprofen at 9am and 2 before bed.  Walking up to 3 miles, with a reasonably normal stride.
  • Today I'm back at work and feel pretty normal.  Still definitely slow and I get athe occasional sharp pain, especially when I move after sitting for a while, but overall it's going really well.
Swelling is down, but the bruising is out of control.  Everything (and I mean everything) from the stitches down is black.  Doesn't hurt at all but looks really freakish (sorry, no pictures of that are coming!).  Apparently it's pretty common after hernia surgery and goes away in a couple weeks.

Next 2 weeks are all easy stuff.  Just walking 3-4 times/day, and I can start some gentle stretching.  I need to go have a followup exam just to check that it's all looking OK, will probably do that early next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog from friend Eric Belden. Would love to pick your brain on your injury/recovery. Please e-mail:
cvazacATyahooDOTcom

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan

I am also desperate for information and reassurance that I can come back to running post op. Can you please email me at alisonATwviDOTcom?

Thank you so much.