Tuesday, March 24, 2009

100 Pushup Challenge

So with summer approaching, and the high likelihood of weather that is suitable for shirtless running I have decided to do something very foreign.  Which is basically any form of exercise or workout that is not running.

I have chosen to do the 100 pushup challenge.  A 6 week structured plan that can supposedly transform my pathetic puny runner upper body, barely able to do a single pushup, to a bulging bicepped, ripped monster, capable of doing 100 in a row.  I am lazy in pretty much everything except running, so was attracted to the promise of startling results and the fact that it's 3 times a week, for a total of just 30 minutes.  Sounds pretty easy.

So, last night I took the initial challenge, which is to see how many "good-form" pushups you can do before collapsing.  I managed a pretty pathetic 14, and it sucked.  That puts me in the "officially lame" category, although the name they use in the program is a much more PC "Rank 3", but I should probably mention that I only just crept out of rank 2 because I am over 40.

So now I get to recover for a few days before starting on week 1, day 1.  That will be 5 sets of pushups, with 60 seconds rest in between sets.  Sets go 10, 12, 7, 7 and then the maximum I can do.  That maximum should be at least 9.  Seems pretty brutal to me, and that's just day 1.

Oh well, we will see how this little challenge plays out but hopefully in just 6 short weeks, with my new ripped upper body I will be able to safely run half naked thru town without the fear of being spotted by someone I know.

You know you want to do this too, so click the image for details and join the fun!

1 comment:

Peter Lubbers said...

I started it last year, but was not able to get to a hundred in 6 weeks, so started a couple of times at week 4 or 5 again and have made my way to about 60. It's slow going (for me), but it does work.