Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tempting Fate?

I'm a believer in stating my goals for races in advance.  Perhaps it's tempting fate but I believe it creates a little accountability and when things get tough it can make the difference between backing off to something comfortable or pushing thru.

So Ottawa the goal is pretty simple; sub 3 hours.  And with the advent of preprinted race shirts, you now get the opportunity to publicise your goals during the race!  Ottawa is allowing shirts from wearyournumber.com, who print your race bib on the shirt, and allow you to add a message to the shirt.  Here's mine for Sunday (it is sweaty from my final pace run yesterday evening)...

















It's going to be a little embarassing if I run a 3:25 wearing this.

And to put some more pressure on, the kids have decided that I am going to win the race (last year the winner ran 2:10, so it's not likely to happen....) since I came 1st and 2nd in my last 2 low key 5k races.  There weren't hearing it when I tried to explain that there are big races and small races.  They did a couple pictures of my much anticipated victory.......