Saturday, January 13, 2007

Mountain Man!


Just got back from a great 5 mile run in Tahoe. It was a balmy 15 degrees (It was zero degrees at 7am, but Liz wouldn't let me go until it got to at least double digits). Fortunately it was sunny and there wasn't any wind, so I bundled up warm and went for it. I had some shoe grips that go over the running shoes with little spikes on so you don't slip on the ice and snow. They worked really well, in ice, snow or even just plain road - I could run without feeling I was about to fall on my ass.

After a few hundred yards it didn't feel cold (perhaps because I was numb) and I did a 2.5 mile, downhill run (dropping from 6750 to 6250) along a dirt trail through the trees in a few inches of snow. A really beautiful run down to the lake.

Then I turned around and came back up what I thought was a fairly gentle slope. Wow, was I wrong about that. Between the cold and the altitude it was a real slog running those 2.5 miles back up even though it was only a 500 foot climb. The end was very steep and I slowed to a crawl. By the time I got back to the house I was soaked in sweat and gasping for breath.

Tomorrow I'm planning a longer run, and this time I think I'll go uphill for the first half and then have an easy second half.

No comments: