Monday, April 9, 2007

Overtraining?

So I think I've discovered what overtraining feels like.

the last three weeks have been hard training weeks:
...45 miles
...49 miles
...and a planned 54 miles this week

This Friday I went out to run some mile repeats up at the high school track and my legs felt dead. Really heavy and I had zero energy. Luckily there was a track meet at the school, so I couldn't do my repeats, so I just dragged my butt around for 9 painful miles at a slow (8:40) pace, feeling pretty bad the whole time. On Saturday I went out again and felt the same - managed a 6 mile tempo run but with only 3 "fast" miles (7:38). Came home feeling like crap and really tired. Fell asleep Saturday afternoon (which, thanks to my kids, I rarely do)

Sunday decided to bail on my long run completely. It was meant to be a long of 18 miles and I just didn't think it was going to help me very much, so in the spirit of "listening to my body" I wimped out.

Today I feel a lot better, so will probably go for a run late this afternoon instead of taking a rest day , to see how things are. Hopefully it'll be back to normal. Otherwise it's going to be a little hard to run Santa Cruz under 1:34 in 13 days.

Of course, it might not be overtraining at all, it might just be the fact that due to having my sister visiting this week I've been eating too much, drinking too much beer and hanging out in the hot tub.

No comments: