Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Good Tempo

Had a good tempo run this morning. Plan was 6 miles at tempo plus 12 seconds (6:42) with a mile warmup and cooldown. Ran my normal tempo course, which has a couple hills (200'). Felt great the whole way and averaged 6:37 for the 6 miles - Heartrate was right where it should have been and I managed a 6:40 for teh last slightly uphill mile. This was my first full normal workout since Edinburgh and it's good to be running hard again.

Yesterday was good too. Ran early morning and early evening - both easy runs with a couple faster miles in the morning. Finally felt that the recent illness was behind me and things were working properly again.

Plan is for 12 tomorrow spread other 2 easy runs.

Thursday is the Oracle 5k. Looking forward to that but I really don't enjoy 5ks. I'm not quite sure what to pace for. Should be able to do something round about 6:10 pace but I haven't done much that fast (other than 4x1100m at 6:01 about 2 weeks ago). I guess I'll start around 6:05/6:10 and see how it goes. Will probably depend on who else is running and how fast they are going. My current PR is 19:29 (6:16 pace), which was on my own on the track. I'll be happy if I can beat that time, but to be honest would like to get down to around 19 minutes (6:07 pace).

Friday will be some more easy miles and then there's a 10k on Saturday. I really need to get a solid sub 40 race under my belt. I feel like I've been doinking around the 40 minute mark for ages. Current PR is 40:24 (6:30 pace) from back in January - I should be much faster than that after the last 5 months of training, plus I ran my tempo run this morning only 7 seconds/mile slower than that so I should be able to easily pull off a 6:20 pace for 10k. I'd like to run around 39 minutes (6:17 pace) but will probably set my goal based on Thursday's 5k.

Sunday will be a long of around 16/17 which will have me doing low/mid 60's for the week. Maybe a little more, depwnding on how much warmup/cooldown I do for thw two races.

No comments: